Here’s how to go from a blank page to a game design in 7 steps.
They might seem simple, but they are effective.
- Pick your theme and genre.
- Know your “Audience”: Who are you making your game for?
- Define the fun: What fantasy are you delivering? What are the fun experiences a player wants to have with your theme & genre?
- Pick your game pieces: Pick the fun game pieces and figure out how they fit together.
- Define a player turn: What does the player do on their turn? Pull together the pieces for a fun and compelling play session.
- Long term fun: Evolve the game over time to keep it fun.
- Write your ideas up and share for feedback.